Communication is a process of interaction and exchange of information between two or more individuals and it is successful only when we deliver the message in a clear and understandable manner. Communication is also a dynamic process because it involves the mind to process the information and the confidence to face the other and convey the message in an effective way. In other words, it becomes effective only when the intent and content of the message are aligned with the requirements of the target audience.
Communication skills involve listening and speaking as well as reading and writing. In the present scenario, expertise in any technical skills is just not enough to get the work done at the workplace. It doesn’t matter how good an employee you are. What matters is the working style of an individual. In other words, your career will thrive on your communicable skills or soft skills.
While working in any organization, you will be part of a project which requires good teamwork. It is with the support of the whole team, a task in hand can be completed and executed. At a workplace, the ability to work with superiors, subordinates, colleagues, and the peer is the need of the hour. With effective communicative skills, workplace conflicts can be reduced and work will progress in a smoother and enjoyable manner. With a proper ecosystem in place, teamwork will only grow livelier and thrive with positive outcomes. It can create an understanding that can lead to proficiency and accomplishment for sustainability.
To improve on one’s quality of communication, the following are suggested:
- Listen- listen properly to what others have to say by paying close attention to when one is talking. Seek clarification to ensure that you are on the same page.
- Body language: we communicate not only with our words but also with our body movements- with gestures, postures, tone of our voice, eye contact, facial expression, etc. To understand a spoken communication completely, one has to observe body language that goes with it to infer the right information.
- Empathy- to be humane is very essential on the part of the employee. If colleagues, peers are treated as a family, the bonding gets stronger.
- Respect: every individual in the organization should be treated with respect for the roles they perform and also to make them feel that how important they are to the organization and the work they do.
- Keep communication short and simple by using simple vocabulary and shorter sentences without mincing words.
- Be humorous at times, to destress and put work stress and anxiety away.
Therefore, effective communication is integral for maintaining client relationships and generating sales. Since strong communication helps in leadership skills, all must work towards polishing their skills.